- Deliberate also means Thoughtful, Slow, Unhurried, Measured, Considered, Methodical, Purposeful, Conscious, Intentional, Calculated or Planned.
- Communication is the exchange of thoughts, opinions or information by speech, writing or signs.
- Platform also means Policy, Proposal or Program
As you well know, not everyone communicates the same way and to be more effective, the methods and modes of communication in your family business might need to be further considered and discussed in order to help improve the odds that everyone is heard and that relationships are maintained and enhanced….all leading to a “better business”…however that is defined for you and your family.
Your Communications Platform is...
Oftentimes, “communication” is listed as one of the top challenges that many businesses face. Add the family component to a family farm business and now you’ve multiplied the challenge by two or three. It’s not going away. To get different results, you must do things differently. Seems obvious, no? So let’s explore a little more of what I mean by a Communication Platform.
“A prearranged and agreed upon way in which information, ideas, opinions and decisions are shared among the various stakeholders in your family business” is what I have settled on as the best definition.
Now, the occasional argument and getting downright angry at someone is perfectly OK and happens. After all, we’re all human. The way this is dealt with after-the-fact is a top concern though. If left unfinished or if bitterness grows and continues for years and years, well, families break up over this kind of stuff. Remember the Hatfield’s and the McCoy’s? Let’s try and not have that happen in your family business.
The tone of your family farm has been set with your previous work on the foundations of your professional management system; vision, mission and core values. As you continue fine-tuning your family farm management system, these statements will be referred to often when establishing other policies and/or decision making. That was the whole point of those exercises. Management sets the tone and others follow management’s lead. Indeed these things take time to explore. In the long-run, the benefits far outweigh the costs and investment in time and energy.
- Understanding Your Natural Behaviors
- Code of Expected Behavior (aka Code of Conduct or Communication Pledge)
- Conflict Resolution Policy
- Rules for Entering the Family Business
- Meeting Schedules, Standing Agendas and Keeping Notes
- Rules for Meetings
- Personal Accountability
- Standard Operating Procedures